Learn how to make an Easy Vegan Buttercream Frosting with step by step instructions. This Buttercream is fluffy, delicious and rivals the traditional recipes!
(There may be affiliate links in this post. I may earn a commission for qualified purchases with no added cost to you. Thank you for your support!)
Looking for an easy buttercream frosting that's vegan and delicious?? You found it here!
This fluffy Vegan Buttercream will leave you craving for more! It takes only 4 simple ingredients and less than 10 minutes to make. Top your favorite cupcakes or cake off with this reliable and indulgent buttercream frosting.
Four Simple Ingredients
Here's the four simple ingredients you'll need to grab to make this buttercream recipe:
- vegan butter- Grab a stick of butter and let it sit on the counter to soften before using. I personally like to use Country Crock Plant Butter Sticks.
- organic powdered sugar- this doesn't have to be organic necessarily, however, you will want to ensure that whatever you grab is vegan
- fine sea salt
- plant based milk
- Here's my favorite tip for a vanilla buttercream: Use a vanilla soy milk to keep your buttercream bright white and skip the vanilla extract completely!
How to make Vegan Buttercream Frosting
Vegan buttercream frosting is very similar to traditional buttercream after simply choosing vegan ingredients. Here's how to make buttercream frosting:
- Start by adding your softened butter to a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl (with an electric hand mixer). Cream butter until soft and no clumps remain.
- Slowly add in salt and powdered sugar, about half at a time and continue to beat until fully combined with the butter.
- Add in plant based milk, about ½ tablespoon at a time to get to desired consistency. Beat frosting for 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy.
How to use it
Use this Buttercream to decorate your favorite cakes or cupcakes! I recommend using this buttercream fresh when made to frost your fully cooled cakes.
It will keep in an airtight frosting bag or container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days, but texture will be best if used fresh.
Top tips & Questions
Vanilla Buttercream- Keep the bright white frosting and skip the vanilla extract by using Vanilla Soy Milk as your milk of choice! Infuse a delicious vanilla flavor without sacrificing color.
Pick a color!- Add a couple drops of a Natural Food Coloring when beating the frosting to make it whatever color you please. Start with just a drop or two, you can always add more, but you can't take away!
How much powdered sugar do I need?- Start this recipe with 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat to fully combine. Then adjust the frosting by taste and texture, adding ¼ cup at a time as needed.
Can Buttercream be made without a mixer?- No, unfortunately, I do not recommend trying to make this frosting without either a stand mixer or a hand mixer. The fluffy and light texture just can not be obtained by hand.
How much does this recipe make?- This recipe makes about 2 cups of frosting, enough to frost 12 cupcakes or a two layer 6" inch cake. Feel free to double, or even triple this recipe if needed!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment and ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness !
Easy Vegan Buttercream Frosting
- ½ cup vegan butter, softened at room temperature the stick, NOT the tub
- 2-2½ cups organic powdered sugar
- pinch fine sea salt
- 1-2 tablespoons plant based milk I like Vanilla Soy Milk
- To a stand mixer add softened butter and cream together until very smooth.
- Slowly add powdered sugar, about half at a time, and beat on medium speed until fully incorporated.
- Add in plant based milk ½ tablespoon at a time and beat for 3-4 minutes on medium-high until fluffy, stopping to press down sides as needed.