Easy, comforting, & Healthy Vegan Stuffing with Tofu Sausage is perfect for gatherings with family and friends! This traditional style stuffing is free of eggs, butter and oil for a more wholesome option in your holiday spread.
You are going to love this savory and rich stuffing. It's simple to make with traditional stuffing ingredients, like garlic, celery, carrots, onion and (tofu) sausage! This Healthy Vegan Stuffing is so delicious, and made without the butter, eggs or oil!
Healthy Vegan Stuffing?
This year, my goal was to bring my favorite holiday side dishes to life in a healthier and more wholesome way. Let me tell you, as I've been recipe testing, we've been LOVING eating all our favorite parts of the holiday meal on repeat. 😍 It's been such a treat, and even better that we can do it and still feel energetic and awake afterwards. 🤣
Instead of drowning the crispy bread in butter or oil, we let the spices do the talking. Don't hesitate on the spices. It may feel like a lot, but the bread is a blank palate and needs to be brought to life. Once you start using herbs and spices with a heavy hand, you'll never say "vegan food is bland" again.
How to make Healthy Vegan Stuffing
Grab your ingredients. You'll need...
- LOTS of diced vegetables - about 3 heaping cups of your favorite stuffing additions. I like to keep it traditional with sweet onion, celery and carrots.
- LOTS of garlic - I wrote 6 garlic cloves into this recipe. But I'm a garlic fiend... so I often to 10-12. 😲
- LOTS of herbs - sage, rosemary, thyme and a little nutmeg bring this stuffing to life.
- Flax Eggs - A mix of ground flax and water make the perfect substitute for egg in a traditional stuffing
- Vegetable Broth
- Bread Cubes - Dry or toast your own, or grab an unseasoned bag from the store! My local grocery store carries a great option of leftover sourdough and whole wheat cubes from the bakery which I love to use.
- Italian Tofu Sausage Crumbles - an optional add in, but delicious! Adding in these vegan sausage crumbles to your Healthy Stuffing adds another savory and fun layer to your stuffing. (Plus you'll love snacking on the extra crumbles if you make the whole batch! 😍)
1. Sauté veggies & herbs
In a large skillet, sauté your veggies of choice till just translucent. To sauté without oil, simply cook on a lower temp, stirring occasionally. If your veggies start to stick, add in small splashes of water, dry white wine or broth, about 1 tablespoon at a time.
When translucent, add in all garlic, herbs and spices. Stir it up well and let cook for about 1 minute longer.
2. Mix it good
In a large mixing bowl, add bread cubes and vegetable mixture and combine. Pour 2 cups of the broth over top and mix well. Fold in flax egg, remaining broth and tofu sausage crumbles.
3. Bake it
Pour mixture into a casserole or oven safe dish. (I like to use my oven safe skillet that I sautéed the veggies in! Less dishes!) Cover and bake as stated in recipe 💜
4. Dig in
Pin it for later ⬇
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment and ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness !
Add these to your holiday spread!
Healthy Vegan Stuffing with Tofu Sausage
- 3 heaping cups diced vegetables (onion, carrot & celery)
- 6 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage finely chopped or 1 tablespoon dry
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary finely chopped or 1 tablespoon dry
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped or 2 teaspoons dry
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 prepared flax egg 1 tablespoon ground flax + ⅓ cup water
- 3½ cups vegetable broth
- 10 cups bread cubes of choice, stale or toasted about 12 oz
- ½ batch Crispy Tofu Sausage optional
- Note-If using tofu sausage, make sure it's prepped in advance
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a pan over medium heat, add vegetables and sauté for 5-7 minutes (add small splash of broth if needed for sticking). Add garlic and herbs, stir well and cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, add bread cubes and vegetable mixture to bowl and mix well. Pour 2½ cups of the broth over top and mix well.
- Whisk together flax egg and 1 cup of broth and mix into the stuffing mixture. If using, mix in tofu sausage at this time as well.
- Pour into a casserole dish (9x13 works well), cover with lid or foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes longer. Enjoy!