Creamy, sweet & cinnamon-y, Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal with crispy candied pecan bits. The pure essence of fall in a bowl. This breakfast is vegan, gluten free and made with simple fall-inspired ingredients.
The pumpkin brigade continues!!
I think we've almost made it to the point where you could make a pumpkin-y recipe for every meal of the day at this point. 🧐 I'm okay with that.
One of my goals on my blog is to make simple recipes that are delicious, nutritious and simple. We're all busy and no one wants to spend all day cooking (at least most of the time!) So I try to simplify ingredients and steps to getting yummy food your whole family can enjoy! This Oatmeal fits the bill!
Oatmeal is already a healthful, fiber filled way to start your day! Sustained energy and a full belly, YES PLEASE.
The Pumpkin Pie Oats are so creamy & cinnamon-y, and full of the flavors of pumpkin pie... but for breakfast! Topped with sweet and crispy, candied pecan bits for a contrast of texture and little bursts of sweet. It's such a warm and welcoming bowl of goodness on a cool fall morning. Like a hug in a bowl! 🥰
The Makings of Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
This Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal comes together in less than 15 minutes. Toss all the oatmeal ingredients into a sauce pan, stir and cook it up till done.
It really doesn't get any easier. If you're feeling fancy, take it a step further by topping with some Quick Candied Pecans... no wait... always top it off with the Candied Pecans. They really add no additional time to make, so go for it!!
You could also swap out the Pecans with another nut of choice, walnuts also work especially well!
Customize your Bowl
My favorite thing about Oatmeal is that you can easily customize your bowl however you want. Here's some of my favorite variations not listed in the recipe...
- Stir in 1-2 tablespoons of almond, pecan or peanut butter to up the protein, fat and creaminess of your bowl!
- Sneak in 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed to reach your required omega 3's for the day without even trying!
- Top with a scoop of banana nice cream or coconut whipped cream for a more dessert like treat!
- Just go crazy with your toppings! Coconut flakes, nut butters, vegan chocolate chips, granola, candied nuts are all yummy ways to spice up your morning oats!
- Hidden veggies- if it tickles your fancy, add in ⅓-1/2 cup of riced cauliflower in with your oats before cooking! You'll barely notice they are there and you get a gold star ⭐ for eating veggies for breakfast!
Pin it for later ⬇
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment and ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness !
Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal with Quick Candied Pecans
- 1 large ripe banana* sliced
- 1 cup rolled oats gluten free if needed
- ½ cup pumpkin puree may sub homemade or canned sweet potato puree
- 1¾ cups water or plant based milk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1-2 tablespoon real maple syrup optional
Quick Candied Pecans
- ¼ cup raw pecans
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ tablespoons real maple syrup
- pinch sea salt
For the Pumpkin Oatmeal
- Add all oatmeal ingredients (except for maple syrup) into a medium saucepan. Stir to combine well and place over medium-low heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5-7 minutes until oats are soft.
- Taste and stir in maple syrup, 1 tablespoon at a time, to desired sweetness
Quick Candied Pecans
- Roughly chop pecans.
- Toss chopped pecans, cinnamon and maple syrup into a small skillet or sauté pan. Mix till well combined.
- Cook over medium-low heat stirring occasionally. Syrup will initially look very thin, then start to bubble. When it begins to bubble, stir constantly to avoid burning for about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of salt if desired and give it a quick toss and then divide between two bowls of oatmeal!