whole food plant based, oil free, gluten free
With the state of our country and the coldness of the winter, it just felt right to share something so warming with you all. It's easy to feel lost, angry and so disheartened with everything going on in the world so we need to focus on things that we can control when it comes to our own personal mental health and lives.
"Keep taking time for yourself until you're you again." ~Lalah Delia
Part of my self care is my cooking. I love the process of prepping and tasting and it has become a creative outlet that I really enjoy. As a mom, it's very easy to lose yourself and just become "Mom" only. Having two kids so close together really had me lost for a while, as it feels like you only have time to keep your kids alive and happy. Taking some time (even just a few minutes!) to yourself can make a huge difference.
This Rustic Lentil, Mushroom & Leek Shepherd's Pie is a recipe I'm so happy to share with you all. It's warming and bright and just therapeutic to make. It takes some time, but not much work, so enjoy the process and reap the rewards!
This pie is creamy, warm and full of delicious herbs. Broiling at the very end allows your mashed potato topping to crisp and brown and adds such a nice texture.
Loaded with veggies and oil free, this Shepherd's Pie hits all the marks for a healthy and complete meal. I hope this warming meal can bring you and your loved ones some comfort in these trying times.
Remember, spread kindness, it's contagious and the world needs more of it right now. Comment below or tag me on Instagram with your comforting creations <3
Rustic Lentil, Mushroom & Leek Shepherd's Pie
Garlicy Mashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs gold or white potatoes, about 6 medium
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1½ cups water
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 lb baby bella mushrooms
- 1 large leek
- 1 tablespoon rosemary dried
- ½ tablespoon thyme dried
- 1 tablespoon oregano dried
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup green or brown lentils
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch + 1½ tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
Garlicy Mashed Potatoes (Instant Pot & Stovetop directions)
- Roughly chop potatoes and garlic
- Instant Pot- Add chopped potatoes, garlic and water to Instant Pot and pressure cook for 5 minutes. Allow natural release.
- Stove top- Add chopped potatoes, garlic and water to medium saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and allow to cook for about 10-15 minutes until fork soft. Take off heat.
- Add nutritional yeast and salt to cooked potatoes. Mash by hand to desired consistency and set aside.
Lentil Mushroom Leek Filling
- Clean mushrooms and slice. Halve leek lengthwise and clean well. Slice leek into half moons, about ⅓ inch thick
- Add prepared leeks and mushrooms to a large oven safe cast iron skillet or pan. Set to low-medium heat and cook for about 10 minutes, till vegetables are soft. (Add small splashes of water if sticking occurs.)
- Add dried rosemary, thyme, oregano and pepper to pan and mix to combine.
- Rinse dry lentils and add them to the pan of vegetables. Add in water or broth and mix to combine.
- Bring to a rapid simmer and then reduce heat to low for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, till lentils are tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water to make a slurry. Pour slurry into hot pan with lentil mixture and stir to combine. Bring to a soft simmer for 1 minute to thicken then remove from heat.
- Stir in nutritional yeast and balsamic vinegar. Add salt & pepper to taste.
Assemble & Broil
- Preheat broiler to high
- (Make sure your pan is broiler safe!) Gently top lentil filling with mashed potatoes and spread as desired.
- Broil Shepherd's Pie on second highest rack of oven to crisp up potato topping for about 5-10 minutes, watching carefully so as not to burn it!
Connect with me!