Learn how to make pickled red onions for one of the tastiest ways to add a burst of tangy and sweet flavor to your favorite dishes!
Pickled Red Onions have been a staple in my fridge for a few years now and they are such an easy way to add a burst of flavor to your favorite buddha bowls, salads, tacos, sandwiches, burritos or even to jazz up some avocado toast!!
Take 10 minutes and gather these 5 ingredients to make this simple topping!
- red onions
- apple cider vinegar OR white vinegar
- coconut sugar - leave out or sub for other sugars
How to make Pickled Red Onions
To make this tangy topping the first step is to prepare your onions!
Halve the onions and remove any crispy layers of skin. Using a knife or mandolin, slice the onions to your preferred thickness. I like mine sliced to about ¼-1/3 of an inch wide. Stuff the sliced onions into a half quart jar until full.
In a small sauce pan, combine water, vinegar, salt, coconut sugar and any of your other favorite add-ins. Heat over medium heat stirring occasionally until hot and sugar and salt have dissolved, then remove from heat.
VERY CAREFULLY pour the hot liquid over the prepared onions until they are fully covered. Allow onions to come to room temperature on the counter. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours for the best flavor!
Variations & Substitutions
Pickled Red Onions are delicious as written in the recipe below! They honestly don't even need any add-ins or adjustments, but if you're feeling frisky and wanna mix it up here's some of my favorite suggestions!
- Make it Spicy - add chili pepper flakes or sliced jalapenos to the onions to add a spicy kick!
- Flavors Options- other tasty flavor boosts are fennel seeds, peppercorns and Italian seasoning
- Coconut Sugar - swap the coconut sugar for cane sugar or any of your favorite sugar varieties.
Once prepared these easy Pickled Red Onions will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment and ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness !
How to make Pickled Red Onions
- quart sized jar or container
- small sauce pan
- 2-3 large red onions
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar may substitute white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar option - leave out or sub for other sugars
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red peppers
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns (pick out before eating)
- Halve red onions and remove crispy skin. Slice onions into half moon slices until quart jar is full. This usually takes about 2-3 large onions.
- Place remainder of ingredients and any optional add-ins into the saucepan. Heat over medium heat stirring occasionally until hot and sugar and salt have dissolved, then remove from heat.
- Carefully pour hot liquid over onions until covered. Allow onions to come to room temperature on the counter. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours for the best flavor!
- Will keep in fridge for up to 7 days
I love having these in my fridge for breakfast sandwiches or putting on top for salads. Thanks Sam!