Leave those frozen tater tots behind! These Homemade Tater Tots are so easy to make and get crispy in the air fryer without the use of any excess oil! These crispy morels and healthy AND delicious!
Tater tots are a joy in my life (and probably yours too if you're here!) However, it's just too easy to eat the whole darn bag and 9 measly tots (the usual suggested serving size) is just not enough!
These oil free tater tots are a healthy choice and will leave you feeling so satisfied and happy. Air frying tater tots gives that golden brown and crispy exterior we all know and love while still leaving the center soft and delightful.
These air fried tater tots are vegan, gluten free, nut free, oil free (optional) and whole food plant based!
What you'll need
Homemade tater tots are made from simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand:
- potatoes, cooked and cooled (Russet, Idaho or Yukon Gold work best)
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- nutritional yeast
- parsley optional
- sea salt
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Pre-Cook Potatoes
My favorite method (and the easiest) is to prep a whole bunch of potatoes in my Instant Pot! You can find the easy to follow list of cooking times here!
If you do not have an instant pot, simply scrub your potatoes very clean and then add them to a pot or steamer basket with 2-3 inches of water. Cover and cook over medium-high heat for 12-20 minutes until fork tender. Time will vary based on the size of the potatoes.
Let the cooked potatoes cool until able to handle by hand and then continue with the recipe!
How to make homemade tater tots
To make these easy tater tots follow these super easy steps!
Using a box grater, grate the cooked and cooled potatoes using the largest hole.
Add grated potatoes and all seasonings to a large bowl and gently mix until spices coat potatoes.
Use your hands to form potato mixture into tots, about 1-2 tablespoons is good, depending on your size preference
Air fry in a single layer at 380°F for 16-20 minutes, lightly shaking basket halfway through, until tots are golden brown and crispy.
After cooled, the tater tots can be stored in a sealed container or freezer bag and refrigerated for 3 days or frozen for 2 months.
To reheat, simply toss the frozen or refrigerated tots back in the air fryer and cook at 380°F until they are hot and crispy again.
To save some time, keep a batch of cooked potatoes prepped in the fridge so you can grab a few whenever those tater tot craving hits! Learn how to cook whole potatoes in the instant pot here to save even more time and effort!
The air fryer is great for these because they let you get that crispy exterior without the use of oil. However, if you do not have an air fryer you can bake these (with convection would be best) at 400°F for 15-20 minutes, mixing halfway through.
Air Fried Tater tots work best with a starchy potato like Russet, Idaho or Yukon Gold.
I do not peel my potatoes for this recipe, though you can if that's your preference. Remove any large peels that do not get grated well and continue on with the recipe.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment and ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness !
Easy Homemade Tater Tots (Air Fryer)
- Air fryer
- box grater
- 4 medium potatoes, cooked and cooled* (Russet, Idaho or Yukon Gold work best)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley optional
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- oil spray optional*
- Using a box grater, grate the cooked and cooled potatoes using the largest hole. Add grated potatoes and all seasonings to a large bowl and gently mix until spices coat potatoes. Taste and adjust salt as needed.
- Lightly spray the basket of your air fryer with oil, only if needed.
- Using your hands grab 1-2 tablespoons of potato mixture and squeeze into a tater tot shape. Place in the air fryer and repeat, keeping the tots in a single layer until basket is full. (You make need to cook these in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.)
- Air fry at 380°F for 16-20 minutes, lightly shaking basket halfway through, until tots are golden brown and crispy.
(There may be affiliate links in this post. I may earn a commission for qualified purchases with no added cost to you. Thank you for your support!)