easy | vegan | perfect entrée for St Patrick's Day
We're here in the midst of my St Patty's recipe obsession and I'm beyond excited to share this recipe. Corned Beef was always something I looked forward to on St Patty's Day and going vegan I didn't think I'd ever come close to that "experience" again.
But this vegan Corned Beef comes pretty close!! That peppery crisp layer and loaded with familiar flavors just give me that little something I was looking for to complete my St Patty's Day meal. No need to harm an animal for you to enjoy good food, truly, anything can be made vegan! Plus, you get the added benefit of eating something that's MUCH healthier for your body than the traditional version!
This Corned Beef is made of seitan which is a wonderful meat substitute. It soaks up any flavors that you introduce to it which is perfect in this case because traditionally corned beef is just saturated in that salty, flavorful, umami brine.
Don't be overwhelmed by making your own seitan at home. It's much easier than you think! Simply mix everything together and knead. Let it rest while mixing all those traditional brine flavors together in a simmering liquid. Simmer, bake for a crispy layer and BOOM. Homemade Corned Beef.
I wish you could taste these pictures. I'm drooling just looking at them and reminiscing.
Pro Tip- Save that simmering liquid! It's absolutely delicious served as an Au Jus over the sliced Corned Beef or over mashed potatoes or Colcannon!
Comment below or tag me on Instagram! I'd love you hear your feedback!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment and ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness !
Vegan Corned Beef
Seitan Corned Beef
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten 151g
- ¼ cup garbanzo bean flour 35g
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 cups water + 2 teaspoon veggie or mushroom bouillon
- ¼ cup tamari
- 3 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 pieces star anise
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper adjust to taste
- Combine all Seitan Corned Beef ingredients into a bowl and stir until just combined
- Knead dough by hand for 5 minutes. Shape however you desire and set aside to rest. (Keep in mind, seitan will roughly double in size when cooked)
- Prepare simmering liquid. In pot large enough for your corned beef, combine all simmering liquid ingredients and whisk to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and place Seitan Corned Beef dough into pot. Simmer for 45 minutes, flipping once or twice. Set oven to 450°
- Remove Seitan Corned beef and place into an oven safe dish. Strain simmering liquid and pour remaining liquid over seitan. Rub top of corned beef with freshly ground pepper and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Slice and enjoy!!