Vegan egg yolk sauce is an easy and simple way to enjoy the runny, earthy and unique flavor of egg yolk without the egg! Perfect for breakfast sandwiches, dip for toast or to pour over vegan eggs in a basket!
Runny yolk was always my favorite and after going vegan, it was something I thought I had to give up forever. Boy, was I wrong, and you'll be shocked at how quick and simple it is to make!
This veganized egg yolk is super versatile and surprisingly very much like the real thing.
The texture is smooth, slightly thick and has that familiar mouthfeel of a real runny yolk. It's eggy, rich and perfect to pair with your favorite breakfasts, my favorite is this Vegan Toad in the Hole.
6 ingredients and less than 10 minutes is all you'll need. Time to break it down!
- nutritional yeast - adds a depth of flavor that makes the yolk sauce extra rich.
- ground turmeric - for a rich yolk color (can be omitted if needed)
- cornstarch - for the perfect yolky texture
- vegan butter - adds a layer of fatty goodness that is needed for a perfect vegan yolk
- kala namak (black salt) - the key ingredient
- What is Kala Namak? It's the vegan key that unlocks all things eggy. If you are vegan, or just egg free, and miss that sulfuric, earthy flavor, this will become your new best friend.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Vegan Yolk
You'll be dipping into this luscious sauce in less then 10 minutes when you follow these 3 easy steps.
In a small sauce pan, whisk together everything but the butter and black salt.
Add the butter and cook over medium heat until you see the texture change.
Add the black salt, little bits at a time until you obtain the level of salty eggyness that you desire.
How to enjoy Vegan Yolk Sauce
I love to enjoy this umami laden yolk sauce as a dip with toast! But you should also consider trying it out over some vegan toad in the hole or as a dip or condiment with an epic breakfast sandwich.
Unfortunately, I would not recommend swapping out the black salt as this is the key ingredient for an egg-like flavor. You can find it easily on amazon and I'd also suggest checking out your local international markets.
Leftover yolk can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Before enjoying, reheat the sauce on the stove stirring well to freshen it back up.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment and ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness !
Vegan Egg Yolk Sauce
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- ¼-½ teaspoon kala namak (black salt)
- In a small sauce pot whisk together the water, nutritional yeast, turmeric and cornstarch.
- Place over medium heat, add the vegan butter and stir until you see the sauce change to a shiny dark yellow texture that resembles egg yolk, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in kala namak ¼ teaspoon at a time to desired saltiness. Enjoy!
(There may be affiliate links in this post. I may earn a commission for qualified purchases with no added cost to you. Thank you for your support!)
Leave a Reply