These Easy Vegan Oatmeal Waffles are the perfect way to fuel your morning! They require only one bowl and are completely plant based, made with whole grains, oil free AND great for meal prep too!
Vegan Oatmeal Waffles are fluffy on the outside with a crisp edge. Top them off with some maple syrup, fresh fruit or even a fruity compote or Cranberry Pear Sauce for a fun holiday twist!
I'm always on the search for ways to add nutritious boosts to the foods my kids love to eat and no one can tell the difference when it comes to these!
This recipe has been husband approved and has be given the Official 2 Thumbs Up Award by the kiddos too!
Ingredients you'll need
These healthy waffles require only 8 ingredients that you may have on hand already! This is what you'll need:
- white whole wheat flour (you can substitute all purpose flour or gluten free flour for this recipe)
- rolled oats - added fiber and a whole grain helps create a more satisfying meal!
- ground flax seed - a boost of healthy fats, protein & fiber!
- baking powder
- sea salt
- unsweetened applesauce - an easy & healthy swap for eggs and oil
- vanilla extract
- maple syrup
See the recipe card for exact quantities.
How to make Vegan Oatmeal Waffles
This waffle recipe could not possibly be any easier. All you need is a bowl, whisk, spoon and a waffle iron and you're good to go! (This is the waffle iron I own.)
Step 1: Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
Step 2: Add the wet ingredients to the bowl and mix well.
Step 3: Let the batter sit while the waffle iron warms up..
Step 4: Cook according to your waffle iron directions and enjoy!
Cooking Tip: Resist the urge to peek as your waffles cook! You may accidently rip the waffle apart. Wait until your waffle iron signals that it is finished cooking, then carefully lift the lid.
Can I make these waffles ahead?
My favorite thing to do it make a ton of something and freeze it. I always thank myself when I can just grab a waffle from the freezer and pop it into the toaster for my kids on a rushed morning!
So YES. Oatmeal waffles can be made in advance!
If you plan to eat them within 3 days, store the cooled waffles in a sealed container in the fridge.
Otherwise, they can be frozen for up to 2 months.
How to freeze waffles:
After fully cooled, freeze the waffles in a single layer on a baking sheet for 1 hour, then place them in a sealed freezer bag for up to 2 months. I like to cut mine into quarters before freezing, so you can grab as much or as little as you'd like!
Swap the whole wheat flour for gluten free flour and ensure your oats are gluten free to make this recipe completely gluten free.
Yes! I often add chocolate chips to these waffles! Just toss in a handful after mixing the batter together and give it a stir. Then cook as usual.
Keep it classic, with vegan butter and maple syrup, or switch it up with fresh fruit & vegan whip cream, or a fruit compote or cranberry sauce!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment and ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness !
Easy Vegan Oatmeal Waffles
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour (360g)*
- 1¼ cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt ⅓
- ⅓ cup +1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce (4oz, 113g)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2½ cups water
- To a large mixing bowl, add flour, oats, flax, baking powder and salt. Whisk together until fully incorporated.
- Add applesauce, vanilla, syrup and water to the bowl and mix until no dry ingredients remain.
- Let the batter rest while your waffle iron heats up. (Only if needed, add a light spray of non stick spray to your waffle iron.)
- Pour the batter (my waffle iron takes a heaping ½ cup, but each iron will vary) in the center of your preheated waffle iron, close and let it cook according to your iron's directions. Do not open early! Use a fork to remove the finished waffle and continue until all are cooked. Top as desired and enjoy!
(There may be affiliate links in this post. I may earn a commission for qualified purchases with no added cost to you. Thank you for your support!)