vegan, oil free
Happy Holiday Season!
We're in holiday crunch time here... only 3 days till Christmas!! But I couldn't let Christmas come without sharing a Gingerbread Cookie recipe!!
There's some serious debate in my house over whether traditional gingerbread cookies should be chewy or crunchy. I'm team chewy all the way, and from the way that my toddlers devour these.. I'd say they're team chewy too! So team chewy won this year. Maybe I'll tackle some crunchy ones for my hubby next year.
So if you're running late on everything (like I am this year) I hope you enjoy slowing down for a second to make these tasty gingerbreads! And let me know what you think!! Comment here or tag me on Instagram!!
Soft & Chewy Gingerbread Cookies
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ sea salt
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon clove
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
SUPER SIMPLE COOKIE ICING
- 1-1.5 tbsp milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- In small bowl, mix flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax + 2 tablespoon water). Set aside.
- Using stand (or hand) mixer, cream together pumpkin puree, molasses, brown sugar and vanilla extract
- Add dry ingredients together to a medium bowl and whisk until combined
- Add flax egg into mixer and mix until combined
- Add dry ingredients into mixer and mix on low-medium setting until just combined (Don't over mix)
- Form dough into large disc shape, cover and chill for at least an hour (or overnight)
- Set oven for 350°. Lightly dust a clean surface with flour. Using rolling pin, roll chilled dough out thin, about ⅓ inch thick.
- Cut into shapes, place on parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Re-roll out the extra dough and cut more shapes! (Remember the more you work the dough the tougher they will become, so less is better!) Should make about 18-22 cookies
- Bake for about 8 minutes on middle rack. Allow to cool before moving and completely cool before decorating.
Super Simple Cookie Icing
- In a medium bowl, use hand mixer to combine milk and powdered sugar. The less liquid you use the thicker the icing will be. Decorate cookies as desired!
Connect with me!