oil free, vegan, gluten-free & nut-free options
Happy Holidays Friends!!
It's that time of year!! No matter what you celebrate, I hope these cooler days are leading you to the kitchen. Pandemic times mean that our family's holiday traditions are looking a bit differently this year. But that doesn't mean we won't be enjoying some Christmas cookies!
I had a blast coming up with this cookie recipe! My goal was to make a cookie that was still an indulgent treat but also one with a bit more wholesome ingredients. Finding an alternative to oils and butters was challenging but I feel SO EXCITED about how these cookies came out.
That first bite into these cookies after they've cooled (just enough that they can be handled... I mean, let's be real here) oh my goodness. SO chocolatey, just enough of chewiness and with just the slightest hint of tahini to just round it out perfectly. This is a chocolate lover's dream. Plus, they store really well! Still soft and delightful the next day without the need for the 15 second hit in the microwave that usually occurs on my "next day" cookie adventures.
PRO TIP: Don't forget to chill your dough before baking! It helps firm up the fat a bit in the cookie. This means when it bakes it take longer to melt and you get a softer cookie with a higher rise and less spread. If you cut this step they will still be yummy, but you may want to consider cooking for less time than recommended.
So, no matter what time of year it is I hope these Double Fudge Tahini Cookies can bring you a little joy! Comment below if you make these or tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness so I can tag you and share!
be kind to yourself.
Double Fudge Tahini Cookies
- Stand or hand mixer
- cookie sheets
- silpat or parchment
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed plus 3 tablespoon water
- ½ cup tahini smooth
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup coconut sugar can sub more brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup whole wheat flour*
- 1 tablespoon plant based milk
- ⅓-½ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Mix flax egg in small bowl, 1 tablespoon ground flax and 3 tablespoon water. Set aside.
- Add smooth tahini, brown sugar and coconut sugar to mixer bowl and beat till fully combined.
- On low mixer setting, slowly add in vanilla extract, salt, baking soda, cocoa powder & flour. Mix on medium setting until batter is fully combined. May be crumbly at this point, but should hold together when squeezed in hand.
- Add plant milk, 1 tablespoon at a time and allow mixer to run until batter comes together and is not crumbly.
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Chill cookie dough in fridge or freezer for at least 30 minutes - 1 hr.
- Using clean hands, form into 2 inch balls, place onto silpat or parchment lined baking sheet and slightly press with palm to form into 1 inch thick "disk" shapes. Forms 14 cookies
- Bake at 350° for 8-9 minutes. Cookies will appear soft, don't overbake! Allow to cool on baking sheet before enjoying.
- You can prep dough ahead of time and store in fridge to bake a day or two later
- *GLUTEN FREE OPTION: Sub whole wheat flour for almond four. Cookies will be a bit denser, but still delicious
- DON'T OVER COOK! Cookies will appear soft at 8-9 minute mark. They will firm up as they cool, trust me!
Connect with me on Instagram & Pinterest!