vegan, easy, oil free, nut free
Hello there Kind Cookers,
Breakfast is my favorite (let's be real, they're all my favorite) but I could really eat breakfast foods all day. When I'm not chowing down on some Savory Oats, you can usually find me eating a breakfast sandwich.
This sandwich is the ULTIMATE BREAKFAST SANDWICH. It's loaded with delicious pan fried tofu egg, a quick & easy mushroom "bacon" for that umami we all want, and topped with creamy avocado and tangy pickled red onion. I just can't even type this without my mouth watering.
Quick Mushroom Bacon
Okay, this is NOT bacon. But I also don't want it to be. It's flavored with those smoky, sweet, umami flavors you would get from bacon. But no little piggies were harmed.
Quickly toss the sliced mushrooms of your choice in tamari, maple syrup and smoked paprika and you are good to go! Cook to your crispness liking. I personally like mine browned just enough for a little added texture, but not too crispy.
Pan "fried" Tofu Egg
This is one of my favorite ways to eat tofu. It's super low effort and I leave any extras in the fridge for a sandwich the next day. It stores very well and is great for prepping for an easy breakfast the next day.
Have you tried Kala Namak? It's been the biggest game changer in my life as a vegan. The eggy-ness that it brings to a dish is mind-blowing, it is really unlike any other flavor. I received some as a gift one year for Christmas and I've been buying it ever since. A little goes a long way and no tofu egg or scramble is complete without it in my opinion. If you haven't tried it and want to find some, I buy mine online here.
(Affiliate link. If you choose to purchase through my link I will receive a small compensation at no cost to you.)
Did you know you can pan fry your tofu without oil?? It takes a little patience but the pay off is great. Cook your tofu on a medium-low heat. If you go to flip your tofu and it's sticking to the pan, give it another minute or two and check again. The tofu will build up a crisp layer on the outside and will break free from the pan as this happens. I have to admit. I'm not always patient and sometimes I just force it off with my spatula, but really, if you can be patient you'll get a nice crisp bite on the outside and a soft eggy inside. Perfect for your breakfast sammie.
Happy Breakfast everyone! Comment below or tag me on Instagram, I love to see your recreations!
The Best Breakfast Sammie with Tofu "Egg" & Mushroom "Bacon"
- 4-6 oz sliced baby bella or portabella mushrooms
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ tablespoon tamari, or soy sauce
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black salt (kala namak)* can sub sea salt, but will not taste "eggy"
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- pepper to taste
- bread of choice I enjoy homemade sourdough!
- vegan mayo leave out for oil free
- hot sauce of choice
- baby spinach
- picked red onions, or thinly sliced raw red onion recipe link below
To make easy Mushroom "Bacon"
- Add sliced mushroom, smoked paprika, maple syrup and tamari to small bowl and mix to combine.
- In a non-stick skillet or cast iron pan on medium-low heat, add mushrooms in a single layer. (Cook in batches if you do not have enough room for a single layer)
- Cook for 6-8 minutes to desired doneness flipping halfway through. Remove from heat and set aside
Pan "fried" Tofu Egg
- Mix seasonings together in a small bowl
- Slice tofu into 8 even pieces. Sprinkle half of the seasoning mixture over the tofu
- In a non-stick skillet or cast iron pan on medium-low heat, add tofu seasoning side down. Add remainder of seasoning to opposite side
- Allow to cook about 6 minutes on each side. Allow tofu to crisp before attempting to flip. If tofu is sticking, give it another minute or two before flipping.
Assemble your Sandwiches
- On two slices of toasted bread, add avocado, vegan mayo & hot sauce (if using). Add mushroom bacon, tofu egg, baby spinach and pickled onions. Slice and enjoy!
Connect with me!