vegan, wfpb, oil free, >5 mins & only 10 ingredients
Hellooooooooo positive people!!!!
How's it going? Have I told you I like it here? I'm so glad you're taking a minute to flip through my blog! I'm assuming the thought of a yummy homemade General Tso's Sauce has lored you in. It would lore me in too! Do people actually read this part or do we all just skip to the recipe? I hate to admit it but I'm 100% a skip to the recipe type of person. I'm all about the food, lemme tell you.
So here we are... in the hodge podge of General Tso talk. I LOVE all (vegan) Asian style foods, I'm really not sure if there's any I've tried that I haven't loved. But, I don't really like takeout. I dunno what it is about it, but I always just feel gross and unsatisfied every time I spend money to have people bring me food. Maybe it's just me.
I digress. I may not love the takeout, but I sure do enjoy recreating them at home! They always leave me full and satisfied and a little proud. General Tso's is a staple in Chinese-American takeout, I'm honestly not even sure if its actually a thing in China! If you know, leave a comment and educate me please! I think I may have actually had it in an airport in Hong Kong, but I think they may have just been appeasing the tourists.
Why should I make this?
-It takes less than 5 minutes and 10 ingredients!
-It makes a lot and stores so well in the fridge! Perfect to have on hand for meal prep or an easy dinner.
-You'll feel accomplished that you mastered at home takeout!
-It pairs with everything and anything! Soy curls, tofu, veggies galore. Make a rice bowl, top it with a protein and steamed or stir fried veg and pour on the sauce!!
Enjoy your homemade takeout! Comment below or tag me on Instagram with your creations!
5 Minute General Tso's Sauce
- 1 inch ginger finely grated
- 3 cloves garlic finely grated or minced
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar sub brown sugar
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional, to taste
- In a small sauce pan over low heat, whisk together all ingredients until well combined and no bits of cornstarch remain.
- Increase heat to medium stirring constantly until mixture darkens and begins to thicken, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Use sauce as desired! It's delicious over stir fried veggies, tofu or soy curls and served with rice! Enjoy!
Connect with Me!