This hearty Chopped Kale Salad with Peanut Hoisin Dressing takes only 15 minutes to make and is absolutely bursting with flavor. You'll find yourself making this one on repeat!
(There are affiliate links in this post. I may earn a commission for qualified purchases with no added cost to you. Thank you for your support!)
This Chopped Kale Salad is something I've found myself making over and over recently for an flavorful lunch. This recipe is easy, requires NO COOKING, it's super fast (only 15 minutes!!) to make and uses simple ingredients, most of which are in season and growing in my backyard garden currently!
I'm been working hard to eat seasonally lately, as a way to save money, and eating what I've worked so hard to grow has been my motivation for many of my recent recipes.
If you are located near me, this should be seasonally friendly for you too! Even if you aren't growing a garden, you should be able to find these ingredients for good prices at your local stores or farmers markets,
Chopped Kale Salad with Peanut Hoisin Dressing is vegan, plant based, healthy, gluten free & has an oil free option.
The fresh kale, sweet sugar snap peas, scallions, mint and cilantro are all at their peak right now and the creamy Peanut Hoisin Dressing is brimming with rich flavor that ties it all together to the most delicious, Vietnamese inspired salad.
Ingredients for a Delicious Salad
Peanut Hoisin Dressing
- hoisin - check the label and make sure it's vegan!
- coconut aminos - if unavailable to you, you may substitute coconut aminos with ½ tablespoon soy sauce and ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- peanut butter powder - I like to use peanut butter powder for dressings and sauces because it's easier to control the thickness and flavor. It's also a great lower fat option for those wanting to cut back.
- rice vinegar
- sesame oil - adds a burst of flavor and depth, but can be easily omitted for a completely oil free option.
- kale - any variety works great! Pictured in this post is a combination of curly and lacinato kale.
- fresh cilantro AND mint - don't skimp on the herbs! This is what makes this salad beyond flavorful and will have you dreaming of eating it on repeat.
- green onion
- yellow or orange bell pepper
- english cucumber
- sugar snap peas
- roasted peanuts
What makes the best chopped Kale salad?
There's a few tips and tricks to having the best Chopped Kale Salad experience. Here's my top tips:
Massage the Kale - After thinly slicing the kale, taking a moment to add some lime and massage it with your hands will break down and roughness in the kale and leave you with tender leaves that are MUCH more enjoyable to eat.
Chop it Good - Once your salad ingredients are all prepped and added to a large bowl, grab your steak knife (aka tofu opener or salad chopper) and a fork and get to chopping that salad! Cutting that salad up and completely mixing with the dressing makes a huge difference in overall pleasure of the salad in the end.
Add fresh herbs - Adding additional tender greens, in this case flavorful fresh herbs, will not only give your salad a better mouth feel, but will have you wondering why you never thought to do this before. Fresh mint and cilantro add an explosion of flavor and bonus nutrients to your salad.
Add a really flavorful dressing - Dousing a chopped salad in a flavorful dressing is so important. No one wants to feel like they're chewing on the garnish. Chopping well and tossing with this flavor bomb Peanut Hoisin Dressing is what puts this salad recipe over the top.
Easy Swaps & Additions
Chopped Kale Salads are the perfect template to make additions or changes to make this your own.
- Make it a meal- To make this a complete meal that will leave you feeling even more satisfied top it with a quick protein and carb.
- Swap up the Veggies- Swap the veggies for whatever you enjoy most! Whatever you choose, just make sure you chop them well.
- Coconut Aminos- If coconut aminos aren't available to you, an easy swap would be adding equal parts tamari (or soy sauce and maple syrup (or agave). Check the recipe for measurements.
- Peanut Butter Powder - If you prefer to use regular peanut butter, I recommend finding a peanut only variety and starting with 1 tablespoon. After mixing together the dressing, taste and add more if desired.
This salad is great for meal prep and doubles very well. Make a double batch and store the leftovers in the fridge. After mixed with the dressing the salad will last 24-48 hours in the fridge. If you'd like it to last longer, do not mix the dressing with the salad until you are ready to eat.
Chop and toss this salad well to incorporate all the unique flavors of the peanut hoisin dressing! Top with some air fried tofu and rice for a complete meal!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment and ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness !
Chopped Kale Salad with Hoisin Peanut Dressing
Peanut Hoisin Dressing
- 1 tablespoon hoisin vegan
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos (can sub ½T soy sauce + ½T maple syrup)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter powder
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil omit for oil free
- 1 small bunch kale
- ½ lime juiced
- large handful fresh cilantro AND mint
- 1 green onion
- ½ yellow or orange bell pepper
- ½ english cucumber
Suggested Salad Additions
- sugar snap peas halved lengthwise
- roasted peanuts chopped
Prepare Peanut Hoisin Dressing
- In a small bowl, add all dressing ingredients and whisk to combine. Thin with a little water if needed. Set aside.
Prep Salad Veggies
- Remove kale leaves from the stems and thinly slice. Add to a large bowl with a squeeze of lime and massage heavily with your hands.
- Prep the remaining veggies of choice: thinly slice green onion, cucumber, bell pepper and sugar snap peas. Finely chop herbs. Add it all to the bowl with the kale.
- Drizzle dressing over salad, mix and chop up salad very well.
- Serve salad topped with roasted peanuts and sriracha.
- To make this a complete meal, serve with a protein and carb! I enjoy adding rice or roasted sweet potato and edamame or pan fried tofu!