vegan, quick, oil free, gluten free
Hey there Kind Cookers!!
Today's recipe requires very little effort and the pay off is so wonderful. This citrusy salad is so nourishing for your body and soul. It's full of a variety of wonderfully healthy plant foods and will leave you feeling satisfied. You won't be able to wait for your next bowl!
The lime-y dressing is full of flavor and made with NO OIL! It's tangy and delicious and the perfect companion to be massaged into your kale.
Why am I giving my kale a massage?
If you don't treat your curly kale right, it'll be tough and just not enjoyable to eat. Have you ever sat down to a kale salad and felt like you were chewing it forever? That's just not appetizing and I'm sure many people have been turned off to kale after having an experience like that.
There are kales that are more palatable without the extra step, but really, I just love curly kale when it's treated right, it's so tender and delightful. The trick is to strip the kale off the stem and slice the kale in thin slices. Then you massage the greens with a bit of your dressing, or even just some avocado & salt! Don't skip it! Get your hands in there and really squeeze, you're not going to hurt it.
If you use Lacinato or Russian kale, don't over massage! These types of kale are already more tender and don't need as much effort.
Citrusy Quinoa Kale Salad
The combination of flavor in this salad had me "mmm-ing" a lot while chowing down. The creaminess of the avocado, partnered with the perfect amount of sweet and tang from the Pickled Red Onions, blood orange and Cilantro Lime dressing made my mouth so happy. The added quinoa makes this salad a complete meal if you choose it to be one!
I'm extra happy because everything is currently in season and I love to eat like that!
I hope you enjoy this Citrusy Quinoa Kale Salad as much as I do! Comment below or tag me on Instagram with your thoughts!
Citrusy Quinoa Kale Salad
- 5-6 large curly kale leaves
- 1½ cup red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 blood oranges can sub naval oranges
- ½ avocado chopped into small cubes
- ½ cup Pickled Onions *recipe link in tips
Cilantro Lime Dressing
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice- about 2 limes
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon real maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ¼ cup cilantro, stems & leaves finely chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
Lime Cilantro Dressing
- Chop cilantro (stems & leaves) finely and add to a small bowl.
- Add remaining dressing ingredients and whisk till combined. (Can alternatively use a bullet style blender- add all ingredients and blend till combined)
- Destem kale and thinly slice, adding to a large bowl.
- Pour half of dressing, about ¼ cup over kale and massage until tender, around 1-2 minutes.
- Remove skin from blood orange and cube. Slice avocado and set to side.
- Top massaged kale with quinoa, purple cabbage, blood orange, avocado and pickled onions. Add remaining dressing, mix and enjoy!
Connect with me!
Leave a Reply