vegan, oil free, whole foods
Hello Kind Cookers!
I'm SO excited to share this recipe with you all! This Creole Penne with Cabbage is so creamy and comforting, but you would never know that it's healthy! It's creamy and filling and full of whole food ingredients. Creole spices and a quick cashew cream take this sauce to the next level. Top it off with Crispy Italian Tofu "Sausage" Crumbles for a complete meal and an added crunchy texture that makes my mouth so happy.
Packed with veggies
Loaded with Flavorful Creole Spices
Made of all Whole Foods
Make this savory dish for your next date night or just to impress your family or friends! Let me know how it goes in the comments below or tag me on Instagram!
Creamy Creole Penne with Cabbage
- 1 small onion sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛-¼ teaspoon cayenne Leave out if you don't like spicy
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 small green cabbage about 6 cups thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 can crushed tomatoes ((24 oz))
- 3 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 8 oz penne gluten free if needed
- ½ recipe Crispy Italian Tofu "Sausage" Crumbles*
- ½ cup raw cashews soaked overnight or boiled for 10-15 minutes to soften
- ½ cup water
- Make Cashew Cream - Blend soaked (or boiled) cashews with ½ cup water until very smooth and creamy. Set to side
- Prep cabbage by cutting into four, removing core and thinly slicing each quarter. Set pot of water for pasta on high heat to boil.
- Add sliced onions and garlic to large, non-stick skillet on medium-low heat. Sauté, stirring occasionally and adding small splashes of water when food begins to stick for about 5-7 minutes till softened.
- Add spices to skillet, mix and toast for about 30 seconds till fragrant.
- Add cabbage to skillet with ⅓ cup water. Mix to combine, cover and let cook on medium for about 5 minutes till cabbage begins to soften.
- Add cashew cream, tomato puree and nutritional yeast to skillet and mix to combine. Simmer on low heat, uncovered while cooking pasta according to instructions.
- Remove sauce from heat, Thin sauce with splashes of pasta water if too thick. Stir in apple cider vinegar and cooked pasta and mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- I recommend serving immediately topped with Crispy Italian Tofu "Sausage" Crumbles!!
Connect with me!