Here's my go-to Creamy Mushroom Gravy for you, just in time for the holidays! Umami loaded gravy from mushrooms and an optional addition of tahini for a depth of flavor that can't be beat. Perfect over mashed taters and veggies!
What's mashed potatoes without a good gravy?? Just a sad sad plate of sadness, that's what! I may be dramatic, but after you whip up a batch of this Creamy Mushroom Gravy, you'll never look at naked potatoes the same again. 🥔😊
This Creamy Mushroom Gravy is vegan, oil free and SO easy to make. It's full of flavor and will quickly become your new go-to gravy recipe.
Oooo Mami! Where's that umami coming from??
Let me let you in on a secret... the super secret ingredient that is! To add an extra depth of flavor we stir in some creamy tahini at the end of cooking! This adds a fun twist of flavor and savory richness to your gravy. (If you like to keep things lower fat, simply leave out the tahini, it's still just as delicious without.)
But between the tahini and the mushrooms, it's like an umami bomb went off in your mouth.
Another optional flavor booster I like to include is Mushroom Powder. Mushrooms on their own have a great burst of savory goodness, but concentrated into a powder?? oh. my goodness. SO GOOD. It adds even more mushroom flavor and savory deliciousness to the gravy. You can leave it out, but if you have access to it, don't skip it!
The Makings of Creamy Mushroom Gravy
Let's see how easy this really is...
Step One- Thinly Slice Mushrooms. (I used Cremini but you could really use any of your favorites here!) Put in a pot over low heat and cook until juicy and reduced in size.
Step Two- Whisk together dry ingredients. Then whisk in with mushrooms, adding a little broth to help get rid of clumps. Stir in remaining broth.
Step Three- Bring to a low boil, reduce to low heat and simmer until THICC.
Step Four- Add in flavor bombs. Tahini if using and tamari (or soy sauce) a little at a time to get desired saltiness.
Then spoon it over those taters, or this equally as yummy Celery Root Puree. Or you know... just eat it with a spoon. 😜
Pin it for later ⬇
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment and ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness !
Browsing? Here's some more favorites you might want to see
Creamy Mushroom Gravy
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced thin
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon mushroom powder* optional
- ½ teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1-2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce add 1 tablespoon at a time
- 1 tablespoon creamy tahini optional
- Into a saucepan over low heat add thinly sliced mushrooms and cook for 6-8 minutes stirring occasionally. Mushrooms should release liquid and cook down in size, if your mushrooms seem dry, add a small splash of broth to prevent sticking.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, garlic powder, onion powder, nutritional yeast, mushroom powder and fresh black pepper.
- When mushrooms have cooked down and liquid has released whisk in dry ingredients. Add in about ⅓ cup of vegetable broth, whisking to break down any clumps of dry ingredients. Once clumps are gone, stir in remaining broth.
- Bring to a low boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 8-12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in tahini (if using). Add 1 tablespoon of tamari and taste, add additional tablespoon to desired saltiness. Adjust fresh pepper to taste as well. Enjoy!