This amazing Vegan Strawberry Cake is easy to make, moist and rich! Made with freeze dried strawberries, this cake is bright and bursting with strawberry flavor!
(There are affiliate links in this post. I may earn a commission for qualified purchases with no added cost to you. Thank you for your support!)
My daughter has been on a strawberry kick and with her birthday fast approaching, I was very motivated to make the most delicious homemade, vegan strawberry cake to help her celebrate!
This Vegan Strawberry Cake topped with the most delicious Vanilla Buttercream Frosting is the perfect combo. This cake is sweet, flavorful and fluffy with a nice chew!
As written this Strawberry Cake is vegan and can be made as 12 cupcakes or a two layer 6 inch cake!
Decorate as desired with some rich Vegan Buttercream or you favorite frosting. Serve this cake for birthdays, Mother's Day or any spring or summer holiday! You're guests will be reaching for more and will definitely be asking you for the recipe
Let's gather our ingredients! For this Vegan Strawberry Cake you'll need the following:
- freeze dried strawberries - on a budget?? Search your local discount grocer! I find my freeze dried strawberries at my local ALDI and they're a great price.
- unsweetened soy milk
- apple cider vinegar
- all purpose flour
- corn starch - corn starch mixed with all purpose flour will lighten up your cake without having to go out of your way to find cake flour!
- cane sugar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- vegetable oil
- vanilla extract
- natural food coloring - completely optional if you prefer a pinker cake. The cake pictured on this post does not use any food coloring.
How to make the Best Vegan Strawberry Cake!
Let's get to baking! Preheat your oven to 350°F.
TIP: Let the blender rest for a few minutes before opening after processing the strawberries as the powder will be fine and airborne! Let the dust settle before opening it up.
Process the strawberries. Our first step is to prepare our freeze dried strawberries! In a spice grinder or bullet style blender add your freeze dried strawberries and process to a fine flour like texture.
Make the vegan buttermilk by mixing the soy milk and apple cider vinegar in a medium bowl. Give it a quick stir and set to the side.
Whisk together dry ingredients. Add all dry ingredients, including your blended freeze dried strawberries and whisk together until combined completely.
Mix wet and dry ingredients. Add the prepared vegan buttermilk and the remaining wet ingredients into the dry and mix until no dry ingredients remain. Try not to overmix, a few small clumps are okay.
Divide batter into prepared cupcake or cake tin and bake according to recipe card!
Important Note: Make sure you allow your cake to cool completely before you try to frost it! Hot cake and frosting don't mix!
Equipment can have a big impact on how a recipe turns out. Here's what I used to make this recipe:
- Ninja Blender - I use the bullet attachment to process my freeze dried strawberries.
- 6 inch cake pans- These are the ones I'm really enjoying right now. They even come with a convenient parchment paper with tabs for easy removal of your cakes!
- Wilton Cupcake Pan
Once the cake it completely cooled, you can choose to decorate it, freeze it or refrigerate it.
Decorate your cake or cupcakes with your Vegan Buttercream however you like! Slice and enjoy! Store any leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 5 days to preserve the freshness!
How to freeze the cake: completely wrap in plastic wrap and then foil and then freeze for up to 3 months. Remove from the freezer and allow to completely thaw before frosting as usual.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment and ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness !
Need the perfect Buttercream Frosting to pair with this cake? Check out my easy Buttercream recipe here!
Vegan Strawberry Cake (made with freeze dried strawberries!)
- blender or spice grinder
- cupcake tin or two 6 inch round cake pans
- mixing bowls
- spatula or spoon
- 1 ounce (28g) freeze dried strawberries about 1½ heaping cups
- ¾+2tbsp cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⅓ cup all purpose flour 160g
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 drops natural red food coloring optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F and blend the freeze dried strawberries in a spice grinder or a blender (bullet style works well.) Set to the side to let the powder settle before opening.
- Prepare your vegan buttermilk by mixing soy milk and apple cider vinegar, stir and set to the side.
- In a large mixing bowl add all dry ingredients, including the freeze dried strawberries, and whisk to combine well.
- Add vegan buttermilk and remaining wet ingredients to the dry mixture and stir until all dry ingredients are just incorporated. Try not to over mix, a few small clumps are fine.
For 12 Cupcakes
- Line cupcake tin with cupcake liners or lightly coat with non-stick spray. Divide batter, about ¼ cup batter per cupcake, to the pan and bake for 20-23 minutes.
For TWO 6" round cakes
- Lightly coat cake pan with non-stick spray, cut a piece of parchment to fit the bottom of the pan. Pour batter into pan and bake for 24-26 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool for 15 minutes before removing from the pan and let the cake cool completely before decorating or cutting.