This Apple Crumb Cake is easy to make, vegan and SO GOOD. Built with three tasty layers: moist & light cinnamon vanilla cake, gooey & soft chunky apples and topped with a buttery, crumble that will be hard to resist!
One bite of this cake and you will be hooked. When autumn hits and apples are in season, this is one dessert you have to make at least once (or maybe like 5-6 times like me.)
You're going to love this recipe because it's
- cozy & comforting
- mouthwateringly delicious
- layers of soft caramel-y apple
- buttery, golden brown crumbles
This cake is the most amazing apple crumb cake. The cake is moist and fluffy, with layers of caramelized apple chunks and topped with the most decadent crumble topping.
This cake is perfect for your Thanksgiving or holiday celebrations! It pairs so beautifully with a nice cup of tea or coffee too.
This recipe is
- 100% vegan
- and has gluten free options!
How to make Apple Crumb Cake
See the full recipe below for complete details.
Step One: Prepare the crumb topping. Whisk together dry ingredients & use a fork to mix in butter and form crumbles.
Step Two: Prepare the cake batter. Whisk together the dry ingredients, then add in wet ingredients and mix to fully combine.
Step Three: Prepare the apples. Peel, deseed and chop apples. Mix with cinnamon and sugar to coat.
Step Four: Assemble & Bake! In prepared springform pan add cake batter. Add a layer of apples and use hands to sprinkle crumb topping over the top. Bake!
Tip: Like most cakes, let the cake cool completely before removing from the pan or slicing.
Tips for the BEST Apple Crumb Cake
Use a fork or hands to make the crumb
Using a soft tub butter or margarine makes this crumble easy to make. A fork works well to mix the butter into the dry crumb ingredients, however, don't hesitate to get your hands in there to get that crumb to just the right texture.
The best apple variety to use
Granny Smith is the variety of apple I recommend for this recipe, as the crisp tartness complements this best. In a pinch, select a similar variety like Crispin or Honeycrisp.
This cake can be made in any 9 inch cake pan. However, I prefer to use a spring form pan because I like to remove it from the pan for that "WOW" factor when your guests see that beautifully browned and caramel-y edge.
Any leftover cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 day, or in the fridge for up to 4 days.
The almond flour is a key ingredient in keeping this cake moist and tender. For a nut free holiday cake check out my Cranberry Orange Cake!
Yes. Swap Gluten free flour at a 1:1 ratio for the all purpose and whole wheat flour in the recipe to make this cake gluten free.
You can try to test for doneness by using a toothpick stuck in the middle to ensure batter is no longer wet. However, please be aware, that apple layer may leave a gooey residue on the toothpick so this may not be 100% reliable.
Looking for more Fall Favorites?
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment and ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness !
The BEST Apple Crumb Cake (vegan)
- ⅓ cup quick oats
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup vegan tub butter or margarine I use Country Crock
- DRY INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup cane sugar
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- WET INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2-3 medium granny smith apples (or similar variety) (at least 2 heaping cups chopped)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F and prepare 9" springform or cake pan with a light spray of non-stick spray or parchment paper.
Prepare Crumb Topping
- In a medium bowl whisk together all the crumb ingredients, except for butter. Add butter to the bowl and use a fork to mash butter into dry mix, until fully incorporated and crumbs form. Set to the side.
Prepare Cake Layer
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until no dry flour remains in the bowl. Set aside.
Prepare Apple Layer
- Peel, deseed and chop apples into bite sized pieces. Toss in a bowl with cinnamon and sugar and mix until all apple is coated.
Assemble & Bake
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan and give it a little wiggle to spread it evenly along bottom of pan. Layer cinnamon apples evenly over the top of the cake batter. Use your hands to crumble the crumb topping evenly over the top of the apple layer.
- Bake for 35-37 minutes, until topping is golden brown. Let cake cool for at least 20 minutes before removing from pan or slicing.