This Vegan Lemon Zucchini Bread is light fluffy and healthy! Jam packed with hidden veggies, vegan and completely oil free, you'll be shocked how delicious it is!
What a wonderful way to use the abundance of summer squash! This Vegan Lemon Zucchini Bread is a healthy twist on a well loved summer treat. Toast up a slice to go along with your favorite tea or cozy morning coffee!
Light, crumbly, sweet and bursting with lemon; this zucchini bread recipe will quickly become a new favorite in your home that you'll make again and again!
This Lemon Zucchini Bread is vegan, oil free, healthy and has a nut-free option!
The Zucchini Bread pictured in this post uses yellow summer squash.
Why we love this healthy Vegan Lemon Zucchini Bread!
- It's delicious! - Taste is always number one here on the Sam Cooks Kindness blog! So of course this sweet bread feels indulgent and tastes out of this world. It's a Sweet, lemony, moist and fluffy loaf studded with crunchy bits of walnuts throughout!
- Oil Free- This zucchini bread is completely oil free! The addition of applesauce is a healthy swap for oil that keeps the loaf moist and decadent without weighing it down with the added fat of oil.
- Healthy- A whopping one and a half cups of shredded zucchini is jam packed into this zucchini bread, packing in the fiber!
- Vegan- you won't find any dairy or eggs in this recipe! This recipe is completely cholesterol and animal-product free!
- Nut Free Options - By omitting the walnuts, you can easily make this recipe completely nut free.
- Kid Friendly - This recipe is kid approved and I love that they don't even notice that it's literally packed with veggies!
Let's review the list of simple ingredients needed for this vegan zucchini bread recipe:
- flour - a combination of whole wheat and all purpose flour is used for a boost of fiber and a light and fluffy texture
- cane sugar
- baking soda & baking powder -
- sea salt
- finely shredded zucchini - zucchini or yellow summer squash can both be used in this recipe! They are the perfect way to boost your nutrition and add a hit of fiber to a sweet treat!
- lemons - the zest and juice are used to make this bread extra bright and full of lemony goodness
- vanilla extract
- applesauce - a healthier replacement for oil or butter in this recipe that keeps the zucchini bread moist and sweet!
- soy milk
- walnuts - optional addition that adds a yummy crunch and pairs so well with the sweet lemon flavor
After your zucchini bread is completely cooled, it can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You can use yellow squash or any variety of summer squash in the place of traditional zucchini!
I have not tested this with gluten free flour, however, a gluten free blend should be able to be substituted at a 1:1 ratio for the all purpose and whole wheat flour. Please leave a comment with your results below if you try this!!
Leaving out the walnuts, makes this recipe completely nut free for anyone who has a nut allergy!
Yup! To freeze, let the bread completely cool before slicing. Then I recommend laying on a parchment lined baking sheet in a single layer and freezing for 1-2 hours before putting it in a freezer safe bag and freezing up to 3 months.
You can pull a single slice out whenever you'd like! Let it thaw at room temperature and then toast lightly in a skillet for the best result!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment and ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness !
Vegan Lemon Zucchini Bread
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ cups finely shredded zucchini or yellow summer squash
- 1½ lemons, zested & 3 tablespoons juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ⅓ cup soy milk
- ½ cup walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F and prep a loaf pan by lightly spraying with non-stick spray or lining with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl. add all dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Add all wet ingredients and mix until no dry flour remains. Fold in walnuts if using and then pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 43-48 minutes. Zucchini bread is finished with a toothpick is stuck in the middle and comes out clean or with just a few crumbs. Let the loaf cool before slicing.