This crisp and refreshing Chopped BBQ Salad is packed with healthy ingredients like tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, corn & avocado and topped with a super simple BBQ Tahini dressing! Finish it off with some crispy tortilla chips, air fried pickle tofu or read the post for more protein options!
Today I'm sharing an easy salad recipe that everyone will love. You will want to add a Chopped Barbeque Salad to your spring & summer meal rotations for sure!
This Chopped BBQ salad is a veganized twist of the BBQ Chicken Salad that they used to have at Panera, you know the one right? It was so delicious that there's no way it was actually good for you. But, this version is!!
If you're a veggie monster like me, you may also want to check out some of my other favorite salads, like, (the best ever) vegan Caesar salad or chopped peanut hoisin kale salad or even grab my FREE SALAD GUIDE below!
Why I love this salad!
- It's loaded with bold flavors that will have you excited to eat a salad!
- It's super easy to make and packed with healthy ingredients!
- You can personalize your protein to make it a complete meal! (see below)
- It's vegan (obviously), nut free and can also easily be made gluten free (depending on your protein choice!)
How to make a Chopped BBQ Salad
Let's get to the good stuff, how to make this hearty, meal-worthy salad! The first step is to gather your (cleaned) ingredients and get to chopping!
Think ahead to what your choice of protein will be (see below for ideas!) and if you're opting for a tofu option, start that first and let it cook while you assemble the salad.
Ingredients to gather
- iceberg lettuce - Iceberg lettuce doesn't get enough love. It's crisp, refreshing and packed with vitamin A, K and folate!
- avocado - adds some healthy and hearty fat that's needed to make any salad super satisfying.
- corn - fresh or frozen & thawed corn adds a sweet and juicy bite.
- cherry tomatoes
- english cucumber
- red onion, pickled or fresh
- Tortilla chips or homemade air fried chips - This (optional) ingredient is a crispy & fun topping! Make your own chips for a healthier option and to keep this recipe oil free.
See recipe card for quantities.
Mix the BBQ Tahini Dressing
For the prettiest salad, you can assemble them in individual bowls or plates and top it off with your protein and dressing.
For the best taste, I personally like to add all the chopped, diced or sliced ingredients to a large bowl with the dressing and chop it and toss it, so everything is coated and mixed well. Then plate the mixed salads and top them off with your crispy pickle tofu (or protein of choice) and tortilla chips!
Easy Protein Options
To make this salad a complete meal you should choose your favorite protein to top it off!
- My favorite option- The superior choice for this salad by far is topping it off with the most flavorful and crispy, pickle brined tofu! It's perfect for the air fryer and can cook up quickly while you prep your salad! The tangy bite and crispy texture it my favorite protein choice for this salad.
- Fastest Option- The quickest option is to crack open a can of beans! Drained and rinsed chickpeas or black beans pair with this salad perfectly.
- Runners up - Honorable mention goes to shelled edamame and crispy air fried tofu bites!
One of my favorite things about salads, is how easy they are to customize to your likes or to whatever you have available in your fridge!
This salad is no different! Swap the greens, veggies, herbs or protein to fit your personal needs!
If you're making this in advance or for meal prep, store the dressing separate from the salad. I would also recommend adding the avocado and tomato fresh when serving. You can keep the separate, prepared ingredients in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment and ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness !
Chopped BBQ Salad (with vegan protein options!)
- 1 large head of Iceberg Lettuce or another lettuce of choice, about 8-10 cups chopped
- 1 cup corn thawed if using frozen
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved or quartered
- 1 medium english cucumber chopped small
- 2 medium carrots grated
- ½ red onion, pickled or fresh* see note
- 1 avocado diced
- Tortilla chips or homemade air fried chips optional topping, see note
Creamy BBQ Dressing
- ⅓ cup your favorite barbeque sauce (check for gluten free if needed)
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
Optional Protein Choices
- Pickle Brined Tofu see notes for recipe link
- Crispy Air Fryer Tofu see notes for recipe link
- Black Beans or Chickpeas
- Shelled Edamame
- Start by choosing your protein option. If making a tofu option, prep that first! (Recipe links in notes)
- Prepare your fresh salad ingredients by chopping, dicing or slicing (per the ingredient note) and adding it all to a large bowl. Save the avocado and tortilla chips for serving.
- In a small bowl, add all the dressing ingredients and whisk to combine. Thin with 1 tablespoon of water as needed to get to desired consistency.
- (Note: Assemble the salads individually if there will be leftovers. Dressing and salad should be stored separately.) However, if the whole salad will be consumed, top the salad with the dressing then chop and mix well!
- Serve the mixed salad on plates, topped with avocado, tortilla chips (if using) and crispy pickled tofu (or protein of your choice!)