This Simple and delicious staple recipe is on that everyone should have in their recipe arsenal, a Simple Tofu Scramble! Full of veggies and tender eggy tofu, its the perfect easy, protein-packed breakfast!
I love a tofu scramble once in a while for breakfast, but let's be real, this recipe is usually my emergency recipe for dinner when I just don't want to cook or have no idea what to make. You know those days? Breakfast for dinner is never a bad idea. 💁♀️
It's also an amazing way to sneak in lots of veggies into a meal. Now I don't want to brag.... but my veggie intake is off the charts... I JUST LOVE THEM AND I CAN'T STOP. But if you're someone who struggles getting enough, or you just can't eat them for breakfast, this is the recipe for you! A scramble without veggies just feels sad. So load them in! You won't regret it.
The KEY to a Perfect Scramble
In my opinion the key to a good tofu scramble is about 2 key things. That eggy flavor and mouth feel. 🥚
That unique flavor calls for some unique seasonings. Most vegans are probably familiar to this ingredient, but if it's new to you, prepare to have your mind blown. The key to an eggy flavor is kala namak, aka black salt. This hidden gem is becoming more and more popular for its sulfuric (read eggy) smell and taste and for good reason! No tofu scramble is truly complete without it.
As for the most egg-like texture, I like to use Firm Tofu. While any tofu will work, I think that the Firm variety gives you just enough softness while still having a good chew. The best part is there's no need to press it. The less work the better!
Choose you own Adventure
The best thing about recipes like this is that they are SO customizable. Follow the recipe to the tee, or choose your own adventure! Switch up the veggies, skip the veggies, add in beans or a plant based sausage if that's your thing. The options are endless. We're only limited by our own imaginations right? Oh, and maybe by what veggies we have in our fridges. 😅
A Simple Tofu Scramble is the best way to use up those veggies in your fridge that look like maybe they should have been eaten yesterday... 🙊 Just chop 'em up and toss them in! NO VEGGIES LEFT BEHIND! 🥦
How to make a Simple Tofu Breakfast Scramble
A delicious and simple tofu scramble comes together in just a few simple steps.
- chop veggies of choice
- water sauté veggies (or use a little bit of oil if you choose)
- crumble in tofu and seasonings
- mix in some baby greens (cause you can never have enough greens) and enjoy!!
I like to eat mine over toast with a little hot sauce and or ketchup! YUM.
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment and ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness !
Veggie-ful Tofu Scramble
- 5-6 cups chopped veggies of choice recommend-> onion, peppers, zucchini, mushrooms
- 1 block firm tofu, drained
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast*
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black salt (kala namak)**
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- ¼ cup unsweetened plant based milk
- ¼ teaspoon dry thyme & fennel optional
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add chopped vegetables and ⅓ cup of water. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking, about 7 minutes.
- Into the skillet crumble in drained tofu. Add turmeric, nutritional yeast and garlic powder and stir until combined and warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in black salt, baby spinach, plant milk and dried herbs if using. Allow to heat through for about 3 minutes longer or until vegetables are cooked and spinach is wilted. Enjoy!