Edit 11/22/2021 - To this day I still make this Savory Oatmeal for my breakfast most days of the week. It's creamy, loaded with veggies, filling and SO satisfying. Quick to make, vegan, gluten free and the perfect way to nourish your body and start your day! 💜
So here it is... my FIRST EVER RECIPE POST. I'm excited to look back in a couple years and see how far I've come with my recipes and life in general.
I'm feeling a little bold using savory oats as the first recipe I share with you all. It's not a breakfast idea that you see very often and I know a lot of people tend to shy away from veggies in the morning. But you have to give it a chance! This is what I eat most days for breakfast and it's just SO comforting that I feel it's the perfect breakfast to share for these cold winter days that are heading our way soon.
As you're sure to find with a lot of the dishes I share, this recipe is super versatile. You can be free to adjust the veggies and seasonings to your tastes, which is something I love about cooking so much. Leave a comment if you make this and let me know what changes you enjoyed!!
Enough chatter, let's get to it!!
Pin it for Later ⬇
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment and ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness !
Try some other of my breakfast favorites!
Savory Oats & Veg
- ½ cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- 2-3 cups chopped baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon black salt (optional for eggy taste, use salt as alternative)
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ block Extra Firm Silken Tofu (about 87g or 1 serving per package)
- black pepper to taste
- fresh diced tomato
- flaky salt
- red pepper flakes
- green onion, fresh herbs
- Add oatmeal, water & Italian seasoning into a medium saucepan and mix. Top with baby greens, cover and set stove on low-medium heat. Cook for 5-7 minutes until greens are wilted.
- Uncover and mix greens into oatmeal. Crumble in tofu, add nutritional yeast, black salt & turmeric (if using). Cook on low for 3 mins
- Serve in a bowl with any or all toppings of choice!
- Instead of chopping the greens prior to cooking, I like to throw the greens in whole! When they are wilted I roughly cut them up with kitchen shears, right in the pot, prior to mixing it all up and moving to the next step!