Let's learn how to make a mouthwatering Vegan Meatball Sub! Easy, air fried Vegan Italian Meatballs are at the heart, smothered in marinara, nestled into a crusty Italian roll and toasted to perfection. (Air Fryer & Oven Instructions!)
Any real sandwich lover can get down with a good meatball sub right?
We're going to veganize & break down the key steps to the most tasty, simple & drool-worthy sub.
Pull out this recipe when you want the best sub, but don't actually want to put that much effort into it or even leave your home. If that's you, you are my people and this is your vegan meatball sub.
What you'll need
- Vegan Italian Meatballs - These homemade meatless meatballs are what make this sub super delicious. They're easy to make and bursting with traditional flavors of a classic meatball.
- Italian Rolls - I like to keep it super classic with Amoroso's Italian Rolls. They're soft and light and get the perfect toasty crispness when popped in the oven!
- Marinara - Grab a jar of your favorite marinara sauce or add a fun fall inspired twist with some quick homemade Pumpkin Marinara!
- Vegan Parmesan - Violife Vegan Parmesan complemented this sub very well, but you can swap any of your favorite brands or homemade parm of your choosing.
- Vegan Butter - The butter is optional, but a light coating will help your roll get extra golden brown while toasting and is a super tasty addition!
How to make the BEST Vegan Meatball Sub
Step One: Prepare vegan meatballs & warm the sauce
- If making your own meatballs, prepare them first! Follow this link to find my absolute FAVORITE homemade vegan meatballs, which can be made in the oven or air fryer (my favorite!)
- They take about 30 minutes to make, are healthy, hearty and perfect for a sub.
- While the meatballs are cooking warm up your sauce in a small pot
Step Two: Assemble & toast
To assemble the ideal meatball sub follow these easy steps:
- Add a light spread of vegan butter to the inside of your roll as well as along the cut outer edge. (The edge around the opening to ensure you get the ultimate toasty bite.)
- Spread a light layer of sauce along the bread, pile in about 4 homemade meatballs (or whatever amount feels right) and top those balls with more sauce.
- Add a light sprinkle of vegan parmesan to the meatballs and top of your roll.
- Place on a baking sheet (or right into your air fryer) cut side facing up.
- Bake or air fry until the sandwich is piping hot and the bread is golden brown and toasted.
- Top with a bit more cheese and dig in!
Time Saving Tip
If using homemade meatballs, double them and freeze the extras for an even easier sub next time!
To freeze- cook the vegan meatballs according to the instructions, let them cool completely and then freeze & store in a freezer safe bag. Reheat right from the freezer to the air fryer for 10-12 minutes at 370°F until hot throughout.
Yes, you can! Make this recipe even simpler by buying premade vegan meatballs. Simply cook according to the package instructions prior to adding the sauce and continuing on with the recipe.
The Italian meatball recipe is gluten free, so if you want a gluten free sub, you will need to find gluten free rolls and check your ingredients for your cheese. They can be easily be made gluten free friendly!
If you have leftovers, do not assemble the sandwiches ahead of time. Rolls and meatballs should be kept separate until ready to eat. Leftover meatballs can be stored in a contained in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment and ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness !
Vegan Meatball Sub
- 1 batch Vegan Italian Meatballs*
- 1 jar your favorite marinara (23.5oz) or tomato based sauce of choice
- 4 Italian Long Rolls (like Amoroso's)
- Vegan Parmesan
- Vegan Butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F if baking
- Prep meatballs- prepare a batch of homemade italian meatballs. (OR your own favorite meatballs according to the package directions.)
- Warm sauce- In a small pot add the sauce and warm over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until warm.
- Prepare Rolls- To each cut Italian roll, add a light spread of butter to the inside, as well as along the outside cut edge of the roll.
- Assemble- Add a light layer of sauce into each roll, then add 4 meatballs (or whatever fits well). Top the meatballs with more sauce and a light sprinkle of grated vegan parmesan. Place the assembled subs onto a baking sheet or directly into your air fryer.
- Toast- Toast the subs until they are piping hot and the rolls are golden brown with crispy edges.To bake- Bake for 12-14 minutes at 400°FTo air fry- Air fry for 5-7 minutes at 370°F. Don't over crowd, you may need to do this in two batches.
(There may be affiliate links in this post. I may earn a commission for qualified purchases with no added cost to you. Thank you for your support!)
Leave a Reply