This Sweet & Sticky Tofu is simple and so delicious! These finger-licking little morsels are perfect to top of component bowls, salads, sandwiches or just to snack on alone!
(There may be affiliate links in this post. I may earn a commission for qualified purchases with no added cost to you. Thank you for your support!)
If you're looking for a new twist on tofu, here it is! This Sweet & Sticky Tofu is drool worthy. It's sticky, sweet & smoky and the perfect way to add tasty protein to your meal.
Use this tofu over salads, component bowls or sandwiches! It also pairs great with a side of caesar potato salad, cornbread or Jalapeno Popper Potatoes!
This Sweet & Sticky Tofu recipe is vegan, gluten free and takes only 20 minutes to make!
Here's the list of simple ingredients needed for this recipe
- extra firm tofu drained and pressed for 15 minutes
- smoked paprika
- sea salt
- olive oil
- tamari - can swap soy sauce
- maple syrup
- liquid smoke
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Sweet & Sticky Tofu
Making Sweet & Sticky Tofu is simple to make and comes together in less than 20 minutes to make! Follow these simple steps:
Whisk together the cornstarch, smoked paprika, salt & pepper in a small bowl. Slice pressed tofu (or cube) and coat in the cornstarch mixture.
Warm oil in a non-stick skillet and cook tofu until golden brown and crispy. (see recipe card for times)
In a small bowl, mix together the tamari, maple syrup and liquid smoke.
Pour tamari mixture over crispy tofu, toss lightly to coat and cook another minute until sticky and delicious. Enjoy!
Store any leftover sticky tofu in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To cook this oil free, first know your pan. If your pan is non-stick, you can omit the cornstarch and then pan sear the tofu, undisturbed, until it easily releases from the pan, flip and repeat. Continue with recipe as written.
You will get a crisper edge and better texture if you take the time to press the tofu beforehand. BUT, it will not destroy the recipe if you choose to skip this step. Just know that you may need to pan fry the tofu a bit longer to get the same result.
In all my tofu cooking experience THIS is the most useful tip. BE PATIENT. Depending on your pan, you may go to flip your tofu and realize that it has become one with the pan. DON'T PANIC AND DON'T FORCE IT OFF! Give your tofu another 1-2 minutes and then check it again using a spatula to gently remove it. As the tofu cooks it will form a crispy edge that will release from the pan if you give it a bit of time.
This sticky tofu goes great paired with
- cold salads like Caesar Potato Salad or Broccoli Salad
- noodle bowls like these Soba Noodles
- cornbread and mashed potatoes or celeriac puree
- on a sandwich, like a sliced crusty baguette with creamy coleslaw
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment and ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness !
Sweet & Sticky Tofu
- 14 oz extra firm tofu (397g) drained and pressed for 15 minutes
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½-1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons tamari sub soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke optional
- In a bowl whisk together, cornstarch, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Slice drained & pressed tofu into slices or cubes.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dip each slice of tofu into cornstarch mixture, tap off excess and then add to hot pan in a single layer. Cook undisturbed for 5-6 minutes, flip and cook another 5-6 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- While tofu is cooking, mix together tamari, maple syrup and liquid smoke.
- When tofu is crisp and browned to your liking, pour over tamari mixture and stir to coat. Cook 1-2 minutes longer until most of sauce is gone and tofu looks sticky and delicious!
Leave a Reply