This low fat and Vegan Sour Cream recipe will quickly become a staple in your kitchen! This creamy and slightly tangy topping is a MUST HAVE for every baked potato, chili or taco! No nuts or oil is required!
Condiments are my favorite food group! I always have a batch of this prepped in my fridge to jazz up a simple weeknight meal.
This low fat and vegan sour cream recipe is the perfect way to pile on one of my favorite toppings with absolutely no guilt. Plus, it's so tasty, I promise you'll be licking the spoon clean.
Use this sour cream as a vegan alternative in any recipe that calls for sour cream!
My vegan sour cream recipe is completely nut free and uses a base of silken tofu for the creamiest texture without the added fat and an extra boost of protein!
Vegan sour cream is super versatile! You've got to try it as a dip for air fried taquitos, loaded fries, or as a topping for fajitas or chili! It also works great in party dips, like ranch or french onion, as a vegan replacement for dairy based sour cream!
This Sour Cream recipe is vegan, oil-free, low fat, nut and gluten free!
Why we love this recipe!
- Taste! This creamy sour cream is the perfect replacement for the dairy filled equivalent!
- It's made with a base of tofu so it has tons of hidden plant-based protein!
- It's dairy free, low fat & oil free!
- It's nut free & gluten free!
- It takes about 5 minutes and only a handful of simple ingredients to make!
All you need to make your own sour cream at home is a handful of common vegan kitchen ingredients and a blender. Let's break it down:
- shelf stable silken tofu - this is what gives your sour cream the smooth and creamy texture! The shelf stable variety has less water and is preferred over the refrigerated type. I use Mori-Nu Extra Firm Silken tofu.
- apple cider vinegar & fresh lemon juice - this combo is the best to give the sour cream a hit of tang and sourness that is often found in store bought sour cream.
- garlic powder - a little hint of garlic to round out the flavor.
- miso (white or yellow)- miso paste is made of fermented soy beans and it's key to adding to the tangy umami found in sour cream.
- nutritional yeast - just a touch of nutritional yeast adds another burst of umami to this savory condiment.
- sea salt
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make homemade Vegan Sour Cream
If you have 5 minutes and a blender, you have enough time to make this simple sour cream recipe!
Step 1: Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend it up until smooth and creamy! Stop and push down the sides if needed.
Step 2: Taste it! Adjust the salt and lemon juice as needed to your preference and then thin it out with small amounts of water to your desired consistency.
Try it with..
Vegan sour cream can be enjoyed in so many ways!!
- Try is as a topping on:
- Use it as a vegan alternative in any recipe that calls for sour cream, like your favorite party dip!
Here are some of my favorite dishes to pair it with ⤵
Vegan Sour Cream will keep refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 5 days. It may separate a little bit in the fridge, just give it a quick mix before using and you're good to go!
While tofu does freeze well, I would not recommend freezing this recipe, as it will change the texture.
After blending, give your sour cream a taste and adjust the salt and lemon juice to your liking. Then add in 1-2 tablespoons of water and give it another quick blend to get it to the perfect sour cream texture.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment and ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness !
Vegan Tofu Sour Cream
- 1 block shelf stable silken tofu* 349g
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon miso white or yellow
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- generous pinch sea salt
- 2-4 tablespoons water
- Add all ingredients to a blender and process until smooth and creamy, stopping to press down sides if necessary. Taste and adjust salt and lemon juice. Thin with 1-2 tablespoons of water at a time to get desired texture.