This Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Egg Roll recipe is exactly what you are looking for. Crispy outside (without the added fat of frying!) and a tender, just-spicy-enough filling that will have your family and friends raving!
Making homemade egg rolls just became super easy! My love of everything "buffalo" has brought us to this wonderfully delicious mashup that was made in the spicy, crispy heaven of my daydreams.
Perfectly spicy and flavorful filling all wrapped up in a crispy little package that pairs extra wonderfully with some creamy dill dressing. Whip up a batch for your next party for an easy and popular appetizer! Or make a bunch for lunch or dinner along side a yummy kale salad or sweet potato hash browns.
Getting that crispy, crunchy outside without any actual frying comes easily when the air fryer enters the game. The air fryer really is the most magical kitchen appliance. Faster cook times and less fat... I'm into that.
Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Egg Rolls are very simple to make and take a few simple ingredients. Here's what you need to gather:
- egg roll wrappers (check that they're vegan!)
- can of chickpeas
- aquafaba (the liquid from the can of chickpeas)
- buffalo style hot sauce like Franks
- diced celery
- green onions
- garlic powder
- Creamy Dill Dressing
Making these air fryer egg rolls couldn't be any simpler. Let's break it down:
Prepare Filling- Add all filling ingredients to a bowl (setting the drained aquafaba to the side for later use). Use potato masher or fork to mash the filling to desired texture, mix well so everything is incorporated well.
How to roll an egg roll- (Check out the pictures below for visual instructions )
- Place egg roll wrappers in a diamond shape pointing towards you.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of filling onto the bottom side of wrapper, (towards you) and wrap the bottom corner over the filling.
- Use your fingers to lightly dampen the three remaining corners and edges with water.
- Fold the outer corners in towards the center and roll the wrapper away from you (like a little burrito!) until you reach the end, make sure all the edges are sealed well from the water so you don't lose any filling and repeat until all filling is gone.
How to Air Fry Egg Rolls- Take a basting brush and lightly brush each egg roll with aquafaba on both sides so no dry patches remain and then place into air fryer. (You could also choose to spray the eggs rolls with an oil based spray instead) Do not crowd air fryer, cook in batches. Air Fry at 400°F for 11-13 minutes until crispy. Serve with Dill Dressing or vegan Ranch and enjoy!
The best thing about this vegan egg roll recipe is you can customize the filling or dip any way you please! A few of my ideas include:
- Spicier - Kick the heat up a notch by swapping the franks for a different variety or hot sauce OR adding in diced jalapenos to the filling mix!
- Swap the chickpeas - you can easily swap the chickpeas for a different variety of bean that you may have on hand. I think cannellini beans would work great!
- Make it cheesy - toss in a bit of shredded vegan cheese to the filling mixture for a cheesy twist! Make sure you have a good seal on your egg rolls because melty cheese is more likely to leak.
- Oil Free vs Spray Oil - To keep this recipe oil free, I recommend brushing each egg roll with aquafaba from the can of chickpeas. For a more traditional egg roll feel, spray the egg roll with an oil spray on each side before air frying. See image below for comparison between the two!
What should I dip these in?
Dip these crispy egg rolls in this creamy, dreamy Dill Dressing!! If you're in a pinch, these are also good with your favorite store bought vegan ranch.
Why are my egg roll wrappers drying out?
Its VERY important to keep the egg roll wrappers covered after they are open. While rolling your eggrolls, keep the unused wrappers covered in their package or covered with a lightly damp tea towel. If the wrappers dry out they will become stale and no longer be pliable.
Why are my vegan egg rolls soggy or dry?
Tip #1 Don't crowd the air fryer- For the crispiest egg roll wrapper, there needs to be air circulating around the rolls, so make sure they are not touching in the air fryer. Cook them in batches if necessary.
Tip #2 Spray or brush the egg rolls right before you place them in the air fryer. You don't want to moisten the wrappers and then have them sitting while other egg rolls cook, as this may cause your egg rolls to break, soggy or just struggle to crisp up.
Store any leftover egg rolls in a sealed container for up to 4 days. Reheat in the air fryer until warmed through when ready to eat.
Do they freeze well?
Vegan Buffalo Egg Rolls are a great recipe to make ahead and freeze for later use. Double the recipe and follow instructions, but do not cook.
Line the uncooked egg rolls on a lined or sprayed baking sheet and freeze for around an hour, then place them in a storage container or freezer bag for up to 3 months!
When ready to eat, toss the frozen rolls into the air fryer and follow the cook instructions, adding an additional 2-4 minutes.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment and ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @samcookskindness !
Searching for party snack ideas? Try these dips!
Air Fryer Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Egg Rolls
- 10-11 egg roll wrappers vegan
Buffalo Chickpea Filling
- 1 can chickpeas, 15.5oz drained and aquafaba set aside to use later
- ⅓ cup buffalo style hot sauce like Franks brand
- ¾ cup diced celery
- 2 green onions greens and whites sliced thin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons Dill Dressing* or Vegan Mayo
- Creamy Dill Dressing* or store bought Vegan Ranch
- Note- Prep your Creamy Dill Dressing (if using) before starting your egg rolls.
- Add all filling ingredients to a bowl (setting the drained aquafaba to the side for later use). Use potato masher or fork to mash the filling to desired texture, mix well so everything is incorporated well.
Roll the eggrolls
- See post above for step-by-step photo instructions. Place egg roll wrappers in a diamond shape pointing towards you. Place about 2 tablespoons of filling onto the bottom side of wrapper, towards you, and wrap the bottom corner over the filling. Use your fingers to lightly dampen the three remaining corners and edges with water. Then fold in the outer corners towards the center and roll the wrapper away from you until you reach the end. Repeat until all filling is gone, will make 10-11 egg rolls.
- Take a basting brush and lightly brush each egg roll with aquafaba on both sides so no dry patches remain and then place into air fryer. (You could also choose to spray the eggs rolls with an oil based spray instead) Do not crowd air fryer, cook in batches. Air Fry at 400°F for 12-14 minutes, flipping halfway through. Serve with Dill Dressing or vegan Ranch and enjoy!